One of our readers has been asking on some tips on how to pull off a smokey eye for those special occassions that you need a more dramatic look.
There are a lot of ways to do a smokey eye and a Google/YouTube search will reveal a lot of detailed tutorials. I don’t consider myself a makeup application expert but I think anyone can pull off a smokey eye provided they have the right products/tools and practice!
The first reference I ever used for a smokey eye was done by one of the best beauty bloggers out there, Christine from Temptalia. I started with her Black Smokey Eye tutorial.
Key points to note:
- Start with a creamy base. Christine uses MAC Fluidline (Gel Liner) in Blacktrack, but I decided to use a MAC Paintpot in Blackground.
- Find a neutral eyeshadow. This will be your savior to blend the dark eyeshadow and make a true smokey look. Check your eyeshadow stash before buying anything new.
- Invest in brushes. Doing complex eyeshadow looks require a couple of brushes. They might seem expensive, but if you take care of them, they will last forever.
- Play with color. You don’t need to just to go for the matte black. Try purple or blue if you’d like. I prefer a gray/black smokey eye so I stick with MAC Black-tied for my looks.
- Keep everything else neutral. Since you’ll be packing in a lot of drama on the lids, keep the rest of your face simple. Choose your blush and lipstick as “you but better.”